Sunday, September 20, 2009

Cut the Cable Bill in Half!




It was a few months after being laid off from my first job that I realized my cable bill was out of control - frankly offensive! I was paying nearly $100 per month for a basic cable package with a DVR and HD channels. I knew I had to put a cap on expenses, and fast.


I decided to call the customer service department with my provider to find out what, if anything, I could do to reduce my costs.

After talking with several different representatives, I learned the only division that had the authority to give a decent price break was the cancelation department. Their goal is to keep you as a customer...which is great news for you!


After several failed tries with different divisions, I called the cancellation department direct. Instead of choosing the "change/reduce service" prompt, I chose the cancel service option. Immediatley, I was connected to a representative who was able to not only reduce my bill by nearly 50% for 12 months, but she even threw in FREE HBO!


This really works! I my fiance's mom just saved over $30/month on her cable/internet bill this last week!


Here is how to negotiate the deal...


1. Call your provider - choose the cancel prompt or ask the representative to send you to the right person who can cancel your service
2. The cancellation rep, who I will call the "customer retention" rep, should ask some questions as to why you are cancelling or how they can keep you business. Play tough here!
3. Tell them that what you are paying is too high for your budget and you are looking at competitors to save money- you can even name them.
4. Let them know that you have been pleased with your service and that you would like to maintain the same services you have currently, but just need a break on the price as times are tough right now (which for a lot of us, this is no lie)
5. Politely ask if there are any promotions or temporary breaks that would allow you to stay with them.


You'll be amazed how easy this works and how much money you'll save.


I want to hear from you. Please share your success stories and ideas!

Good luck,



Cash in the Couch
Finding money where you least expect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment