Friday, October 23, 2009

Blingin’ Watches on a Budget


I, like many, suffer from chronic watch envy. Don’t deny it. You probably suffer from it too. It’s a known habit that humans stare at bulging time pieces. Let’s face it, we all have caught ourselves gazing into the glare of a shiney wrist watch on an unsuspecting passerby and thought, “Daaang! That thing is huge…must have cost a fortune!”


Truth is, you can find some of those eye popping gems for a great price...if you look hard enough of course. But don't sweat it, I'll make it easy on you.


A Quick Lesson on Watches


- There are very few watch makers that can produce large quantities of high quality time pieces.


- You’ve noticed that companies like Fossil brand (www.fossil.com) have hundreds of different styles and price points. In fact, Fossil manufactures high quality watches for some very high-end brands like Michele and Michael Kors.


Make the Trip


Recently, I found myself in the market for a new watch as a gift for my now fiance. A friend of mine tipped me off that Michael Kors watches, similar to the styles found at Nordstroms, could be found on the cheap by heading to the local Prime Outlet Mall (http://www.primeoutlets.com/) and more specifically to the Fossil Watch Outlet (http://www.primeoutlets.com/our-brands/fossil.aspx).


After 5 minutes of visiting the store, I was awestruck by the selection, the brands they manufactured and the prices they sold them for...I ended up walking out of there with a $350 Michael Kors watch for $85.

Granted, most of the watches available were from last year's collection, but c'mon folks, who honestly knows that?! And who cares???

All in all, I walked out of that store with my shoulders back, my head held high, a beautiful time piece in hand, an elated bride to be, and a cool $265 back in my pocket.

Cash in the Couch

1 comment:

  1. My husband, too, looooves watches. I only have two, myself. We're investors more than we are consumers (and love saving money where we can), so we seek high quality, high value investment pieces...used. Great quality goes a long way. I have a vintage Cartier Tank Louis that I purchased for $1700 from a horologist dealer. It was appraised by an insurance appraiser for over $7000. Similarly, my husband has a few Panerai timepieces, which he bought on the secondary market, pre-owned. They're great collectors items that he got great deals on. Sorry for the rambling comment, but the point is, you can find "cash in the couch" with used, rare, high-value items.

    p.s. i like your blog.

    CG

    ReplyDelete